Kiama Independent 'Our history in print' supplement
To celebrate the new millennium, in the year 2000 The Kiama Independent published a 14-part supplement to tell the story of the history of the Kiama area since European settlement.
'The supplement will appear monthly in the Independent throughout 2000 and will feature valuable, historical information which maps not only the physical development of the Kiama Municipality, but also the social and cultural progress through the ages. Specific focus will be on the 140 years following Kiama's proclamation as a municipality in 1859.'
15 Result(s) Found
A brief history of the Kiama Independent written by the Editor, A. J. Weston in 1949.
1930-1939: this period marked the Great Depression. Government funded employment programs saw the Olympic Baths on Pheasant Point built, Jubilee Park was regraded and a new pavillion was built at Gerringong. Kiama District Hospital was officially opened at Bonaira.The Kiama CWA and Gerringong Golf Club were both formed. The Kiama Showgraound Pavillion was burned to the ground. Orry Kelly was becoming known for his fashions and Sir Charles Kingsford Smith placed Gerringong on the map when he took off on Seven Mile Beach for his historic flight to New Zealand.
1939-1949: This was the period of World War II. The first female Aldermand was elected to Kiama Council, Miss Kathleen O'Connell.
1950-1959: the war had ended and this was a up beat period where dances, community functions and weddings were all on the increase. TV and picture theatres were also on the increase. Kiama High School was opened and so was the Kiama Convent School.
1960-1969: Tribute to the Kiama Independent proprietor, Bert Weston, who passed away. The old Kiama Independent building in Shoalhaven St was replaced with a new building. There was a population and housing boom during this period. Kiama Heights and Kiama Downs subdivisions were established. The original historical Black Beach figtree was destroyed in a storm. The old catholic church was demolished and the new architecturally designed church was constructed. Kiama's first motel was constructed. Hartwell House was purchased by Barnardo's Homes.
1970s-1990s : Minnamurra subdivision and the Gainsborough Estate subdivision were developed during the 1970s. Kiama opened their first pre-school. Various historical buildings were either demolished or saved from demolition. The telephone exchange closed down and phone numbers switched to an automated service. Bluehaven and Mayflower Retirement Villages started to be built. The Bombo sewerage plant was established.
The 1980s was a decade of devlopment. The Retirement Villages were completed, the Leisure Centre was built, the Kiama bypass was constructed.
A section on the Aborigines of Kiama from 1797-1933.
Kiama: History in brief 1797-1850.
1870-79: A time of immense change in Kiama.
1880-84: Kiama 'comes of age'. Streets were levelled and covered with blue metal, paddocks and reserves were cleared, unattractive buildings were replaced with buildings of architectural splendour.
1885-1889: a period of significance in the history of Kiama. The railway to Bombo was opened, The Kiama Cottage Hospital was constructed and the Lighthouse was constructed. Football clubs were formed and the first lifesaving brigade was established.
As a supplement to this information, the University of Wollongong Thesis Collection provides a history of Kiama from 1901 to 1931.