Terrace Houses

Terrace Houses Image 6.jpg

The terrace houses in Collins Street are a great reminder of our town's origins and history. They are representative of the important role that quarrying played in the development of Kiama and surrounds.

The terraces were built in the late 1870s by William Geoghegan (1828-1896), who had bought the precinct land in 1867. William was a wharfinger, and he was one of the first captains of trading boats to come to Kiama, before steamers ran here. He was also a respected member of Sons of Temperance here in Kiama for about 30 years.

William built the terraces, and sold land to the Temperance Hall where the Masonic Hall was built in the 1870s (the oldest building of the group of terraces). It seems that William probably built No.5 Collins Lane for his family home in the 1880s.

The terrace houses at 42-44 Collins Street (next door to the Masonic Hall) were built in the late 1870s to house quarry workers. The building is a simple single-storey building of similar character to the adjacent terrace at 24-40 Collins Street. The brick wall at the south end was introduced in the late 1970s for fire safety reasons. The terraces are constructed of weatherboard with a gabled iron roof, small-paned windows, and timber verandah posts and brackets.

The terrace building at 24-40 Collins Street was built in stages during the 1880s. No. 24 (closest to Minnamurra Street) was originally an inn, and no. 26 was the inn-keeper's residence. Numbers 28-38 housed quarry workers, and no.40 was originally a post office.


Intersection of Collins and Terralong streets, Kiama, c.1880s.

Terrace Houses 1

Looking south up Collins Street, Kiama, c. mid-1880s

Image 2.jpg

Collins Street, looking south, c.1910

Terrace House 3.jpg

Collins Street, Kiama, c.1957

Terrace House  4.jpg