otd This list is by no means comprehensive. You are welcome to add to this list by contacting us.

 Browse the list. You'll never know what little gems lay hidden.

Return to Local History Articles pinboard32

 

Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec

 

On this day or week in Kiama:

January
Jan 1889 Charles Jackson (1889) tightrope walked across the blowhole in Kiama.
Jan 2 1903 The crown butter factory in Gerringong received an order for 150 boxes of butter for South Africa
Jan 4 1942 Radar Station No. 18 started operation on Saddleback Mountain Road, Jamberoo 
Jan 5 1841 A post office opened in Kiama - first postmaster George Hindmarsh
Jan 8 1936 Clifford Holz rescued Mavis Gibbs from drowning at Porters Garden Beach.
Jan 11 1933 Charles Kingsford Smith flew from 7 mile beach Gerroa to New Zealand - historic trans Tasman flight which took 14hrs 10min
Jan 15 1898 Lecture on “How to read heads” - Professor Robert White visited Kiama and gave an interesting talk on phrenology 
Jan 15 1927  Kiama’s first motorised ambulance was presented to the community. 
Jan 26 1948  Beer boycott on the south coast ended after 25 hotels were boycotted.
Jan 27 1846 Illawarra ploughing match at Dapto won by Menzies  of Jamberoo 
Jan 28 1893 Article about the blowhole during a storm
Jan 12 1841 Post Office in Kiama established
Jan 23 1851 Kiama is the larder of the colony.
Jan 25 1855 The first hint of a harbour for Kiama

 

To Top

February
Feb 1849 Kiama held first show
Feb 1909  Kiama cycle club established, with 40 members. Held road races from Kiama to Jamberoo and back again.
February 1944  Kiama was honoured when a corvette from the Royal Australian Navy was named after the town.  The HMAS Kiama visited Kiama for a civic reception. 
Feb 2 1845  First agricultural society exhibition 
Feb 16 1839 Plan for Kiama township approved by governor
Feb 22 1925  Electricity used for the first time in Presbyterian Church. 
Feb 22 1949   The “Bombo”, blue metal boat out of Kiama, bound for Sydney sinks off Wollongong.  Only two of the fourteen crew members reached shore alive.
Feb 24 1888   Butter and cheese cooperative factory proposed.  Meeting in School of Arts with 20 farmers present
Feb 26 1879  Runaway horses down Terralong Street. 2 young horses being trained took off. One was seriously injured whilst the young trainer hit his head and had blood flowing from his ears.  They almost collided with a stage coach.
Feb 26 1935 Bus crash at Jamberoo.
Feb 28 1920  Returned soldiers make ‘convenient crossing for vehicular traffic’ at Crooked River 
Feb 4 1842 Advice for newly arrived immigrants to the Illawarra
Feb 12 1844 Kiama's first Magistrates Court opened
Feb 15 1853 Aboriginal languages intriguing and sophisticated

 

To Top

March
March 1858  Jamberoo School opened at Jerrara Creek 
March 1892  At Weary Creek, Gerringong. Accident. A man named Michael Walsh met with a serious gun accident when out shooting. By some unaccountable means the gun went off, severely shattering the hand, face, and breast of the unfortunate man, who managed, however, to crawl to a workman's tent in the neighbourhood, when he was placed in a cart and taken to the local cottage hospital, where he is progressing favourably. 
March 1895  Gerringong didn’t get a doctor until Dr Kruger set up practice in 1895.
March 1925  Speed trials were conducted on 7 mile beach Gerringong speedway. Local History Article.
March 1928  Electricity switched in Gerringong
March 1954  Populations: Kiama -2400, Gerringong - 1058, Jamberoo - 894; Total - 4352 
March 5 1887  Butter factory to be erected on farm of John Moffitt (part of the Berry Estate) near Crooked River 
March 6th 1842  Weatherboard Church of England opened - first church in Jamberoo. 
March 14 1908  Formation of the Kiama Surf Bathers Club - but all were required to wear neck to knee costumes. 
March 22 1870  The barque Rangoon was wrecked on Stack Island Minnamurra. Island is now known as Rangoon due to this wreck 
March 27 1894  Spectators at the swimming carnival at the swimming bathes, blowhole point 
March 31 1892  East Kiama became the Borough of Kiama, and the Municipality of Kiama changed to the Municipality of Jamberoo. The first Mayor of Kiama East Borough was Mr W. Cocks, with Mr R. W. Walker the last Mayor before amalgamation. Mr C.W Craig was the first Mayor of  Jamberoo and Mr C. R Chittick was the last Jamberoo Mayor before amalgamation. 
March 24 1840 Bushrangers living in the Illawarra.
March 18 1847 Established Orange Lodge has a new song for Kiama
March 18 1854 Site "fixed upon" for township of 'Geringong'
March 3 1855 Obstructive land system 1, 2, 3, 4

 

To Top

April
April 1880 Mr Burton’s Circus” visited Kiama 
April 1910  Parkers Electric Pictures screened at Kiama Showground hall for the first time. 
April 1 1857 Gerringong post office opened-services were by horseback to Kiama and Broughton creek
April 12 1934  Sir Charles Kingsford Smith, and lady Kingsford Smith had to spend the night at Gerringong en route to Melbourne due to heavy rain and poor visibility. Perfect landing on 7 mile beach. 
April 15 1936  Man fell into a Kiama quarry and lay for 12 hours, in cold water with fractured legs and arm, until found the next morning. 
April 15 1934  9.91 inches of rain fell in Kiama and created mayhem, with blocked railway tunnels, Gerringong Railway Bridge. 
April 23 1770  Captain Cook on the Endeavour, passed by Kiama 
April 24 1858  First newspaper in district, the Kiama Examiner
April 24 1871  The Municipality of Broughton Vale and the Municipality of Gerringong were declared, breaking up the original Council 11 years after it was created. Kiama and Jamberoo wards remaining as  Kiama Municipality. Mr M. E. Robson was the first Mayor of Gerringong and Mr G. E Chittick was the last mayor of Gerringong.  Mr Chittick became the  Mayor of the amalgamated Kiama Council in 1954. 
April 27 1977  Kiama telephone exchange switched to a $600,000 automated service. 
April 28 1888  South coast medical association established. Medical practitioners from Kiama to the Shoalhaven for sharing of scientific and professional ideas 
April 29 1924  Human remains found at Kiama blowhole.
April 27 1842 Temperance and teetotalism defied in Kiama.
April 6 1842 Kiama becomes Illawarra's second most important port after Wollongong
April 5 1848 General Report of Illawarra sees Kiama excel.
April 17 1852 Governor-General appoints town constable for Kiama
April 12 1853 Local innkeeper drowns.
April 1 1854 First recorded game of cricket between Kiama and Jamberoo.

 

To Top

May
May 1890  Bombo school opened. First teacher was Walter Craig. 
May 1910  Jamberoo tennis club officially opened. 
May 1984  Kiama Post Office gets painted salmon pink. (Kiama Independent 30/5/1984) 
May 5 1931  Electricity in Jamberoo with fst building being the Church of England. 
May 6 1858  Teetotal meeting at Kiama Church of England 
May 7 1847  Profitable coal seams found in Jamberoo. 
May 11 1984  Omega Station decommissioned. 
May 17 1858  Total abstinence meeting at Presbyterian Church 
May 18 1887  Typhoid outbreak in Kiama
May 19 1856 Meeting of Young Men’s Literary and Debating Society in Kiama.
May 23 1887 Hospital opened in Kiama
May 25 1857 Road between Kiama and Jamberoo described as a chain of ponds - much road work required
May 28 1912 Eureka Quarry explosion, killing 6 and injuring 2. Premature explosion of gelignite - led to a union meeting to look at safer work conditions and a relief fund for their families.
May 31 1872 The Kiama Municipality was divided into 3 wards, Kiama, Southern and Jamberoo. 
May 17 1836 Murder in Kiama. Skulduggery involved.

 

To Top

June
June 1984  Protests outside the Kiama Post Office, petition signed by more than 600 residents to repaint the post office. 
June 1 1893  Kiama Railway Station officially opened 
June 8 1871  First election of The Gerringong Municipal Council held. 9 councillors elected, led by Mayor M.E.Robson. 
June 2 1954  Kiama Municipality proclaimed amalgamation of Kiama, Gerringong, and Jamberoo. The population at the time of amalgamation was Kiama; 2400, Gerringong; 1058 and Jamberoo; 892. 
June 4 1859  Shellharbour formed its own Council 
June 6 1918  Kiama Public School P & C Association formed – Mayor W Cornford elected Kiama P & C’s foundation president 
June 8 1901  The Purple Robe - Kiama library refused to remove this text from collection – although it was identified as an insult to catholic sensitivities.
read the book at open library  and discover why it might have been banned.
June 12 1860  Influenza epidemic in Kiama 
June 15 1864  Department for Public Works called for tenders for the excavation of Kiama harbour 
June 15 1897  Conference at Kiama of agricultural societies of the south coast. 
June 16 1881  The stone trade of Kiama -During the past six months (says the Shoalhaven News) the blue metal trade at Kiama has been assuming large dimensions, affording satisfactory employment to a number of local and other men, There are three batteries at work crushing the stone, and a fleet of sailing vessels, and a convenient screw steamer, at present engaged conveying the stone to Sydney, but even then the demand cannot be met. The industry is proving highly beneficial to the district. 
June 16 1892  Jamberoo was said to be a land of butter factories 
June 17 1859  Nominations called for a member for Kiama to serve in new parliament 
June 17 1869  Mr Henry Lee of Gerringong died after being kicked by his horse in the abdomen. Doctor had to travel from Kiama to see him 
June 17 1869  £600 granted for construction of jetty in Gerringong 
June 18 1853  The only doctor in the area, Dr Parrot was out to see an injured man, when his horse slipped and fell. The horse then rolled on Dr Parrot, killing him. The injured man Mr Willet survived. 
June 18 1884  Kiama Pioneer Butter Factory opened - was first co-operative butter factory, not only in NSW but in the Southern Hemisphere  
June 19 1867  Article appeared in Sydney Morning Herald about a trip to Kiama via steamboat for a holiday 
June 21 1866  New bridge over creek at Bush Bank.
June 21 1866  Kiama Independent reports Gerringong to Crooked River road in fearful state 
June 24 1954  The Provisional Council held first meeting, with Aldermen from the former Gerringong, Jamberoo and Kiama councils.  G. E Chittick  (former Mayor of Gerringong) acted as the provisional mayor of the new Kiama Council. Harold Lyons (Kiama Town Clerk for 17 yrs) continued as Town Clerk. 
June 28 1924  Antrim Theatre was officially opened by Mr M F Morton, MLA. The first picture screened was ‘The covered wagon’.  The projectionist was Mr Frank Tuohy who was to hold this position at the theatre under different owners and managers for the next 37 years. 
Jun 11 1839 Cutter "Maid of the Mill" sinks off Kiama coast
June 17 1847 Mooring chains obtained from NSW Government for Kiama Harbour.
June 18 1853 Only residential doctor dies.
June 11 1855 Proposal for communications and national security using the telegraph.

 

To Top

July
July 1830 Robert Hoddle set off to survey a route from Southern Highlands to Kiama Harbour 
July 1903 The first Kiama Golf Club established on Chapman Point, Kiama.
July 1913  Winter skating was held at Gerringong School of Arts. 
July 1 1872  Major fire at Gerringong Commercial district. 
July 2 1852  Post office opened in Jamberoo - First postmaster  R.H Owen. 
July 3 1858  New punt for the Minnamurra River 
July 5 1858  Kiama theological society formed 
July 5 1871 First meeting of the Gerringong Municipal Council held in the Lanterrick Hotel, which, in the absence of an official meeting place, served as the council chambers over the ensuing months. 
July 22 1890 2 Kiama aldermen were in Kiama court for cross cases of assault
July 23 1856  Bush Bank Steam Mill (south of Kiama) commenced operations - milling locally grown wheat.  The ruins can still be seen today
July 26 1890  Boxing gloves were presented to Kiama council meeting due to the altercations and problems amongst the aldermen 
July 15 1841 Inaugural meeting to plan a jetty and harbour at Kiama
July 5 1852 Big storms hit Kiama

 

To Top

August
August 1893  Nationwide measles pandemic
August 1862 By the 1862 Kiama Census there was quite a local community with 5486 people living in the Municipality, with almost half of those under 15 years. 
August 1927  Thomas Newing died - built Foxground’s 1st stone wall in 1857, after arriving here from Kent, England. He built the dry stone walls in the municipality by hand and by himself, with assistance from his son-in-law. 
August 1 1881  Mr John Black Esq, Kiama mayor died whilst giving a Sunday school sermon. 
August 1 1883  Disastrous bushfire at Gerringong, aided by strong winds
 August 6 1882 The Church of St. Mary, Star of the Sea, was formally opened at about 11am on Sunday. 
August 7 1873  Meeting at Boatharbour store to consider the establishment of a public school at Gerringong.  Schools already in the neighbourhood at Omega and Toolijooa but too far from Gerringong 
August 9 1905  First Kiama Arbour Day - more than 2000 residents planted 500 trees, in the township 
August 11 1859  Municipality of Kiama proclaimed and three wards created, Kiama, Jamberoo and Gerringong. 
August 11 1902  First motor vehicle to pass through Kiama. 
August 20 1831  Sydney Morning Herald reports that nine Kiama settlers wrote to W N Gray, Police Magistrate of Wollongong, pointing out that blacks steal whole acres of corn at night and also pigs.  Ottons’s stockman caught ‘Black Harry’ with a pig and ‘ Captain Brooks’ with spears and tomahawk, but they escaped 
August 20 1919  Motor fatality on Macquarie pass, Kiama doctor needed to attend 
August 21 1890  Inquiry into separation of the Kiama municipality into 3 new municipalities.  Debts owed by Kiama, Jamberoo and Gerringong 
August 26 1907 Council supported the request for a tram between Kiama and Jamberoo
August 29 1938 The lovely timber showground pavilion was destroyed by fire.
August 22 1835 Trouble with Illawarra blacks
August 20 1839 Road from to Camden proposed

 

To Top

September
Sept 1869  Kiama district apparently experienced snowstorms - mountains around Jamberoo and saddleback were covered. 
Sept 1897  Announcement of a plan to construct a proper road through Macquarie Pass, linking the South Coast with the Southern Highlands. 
Sept 1908  Young Men’s Institute established in Gerringong to promote self – culture and a reading habit among young people. 
Sept 1909  Central Park Tennis Club established in Kiama. 
Sept 1912  Skating carnival held at Kiama Agricultural Hall. 
Sept 13 1898  A visit to Kiama of Bristol’s Great American Circus, with its own train. 
Sept 1889  The ketch Ino sinks in Kiama Harbour. 
Sept 20 1876  Kiama harbour opened after 16 yrs agitation and work. 
Sept 21, 1945  Radar Station No. 18 ceased operation at Saddleback Mountain Road, Jamberoo (Local History Article)
Sept 26 1859  The first meeting of Kiama Municipal Council was held at Adams Hotel, Kiama
Sept 21 1849 Criminal statistics show activity low in Kiama
Sept 7 1855 Travelling through the Illawarra, Shoalhaven and Kiama.
Sept 24 1855 Proposal for a new "Illawarra Mercury" newspaper
Sept 28 1855 A trip to the shoalhaven

 

To Top

October
Oct 1 1899  Fire in Terralong Street. Destroys 15 premises (Local History Article)
Oct 1819  Surveyor-General John Oxley explored the Kiama coastline by sea, Deputy-Surveyor James Meehan travelled by land. Oxley called the area Kiarami 
Oct 1891  Terrible epidemic of influenza
Oct 1893  Kiama photographer Henry Holden was awarded a diploma and bronze medal from the World Fair in Chicago for a ‘handsome work of art’  (Local History Article)
Oct 1919  Record number of vehicles to pass through the town - 12 in 2hrs 
Oct 3 1888  Railway line from Bombo to Kiama officially opened. (Local History Article)
Oct 17 1925  Don Harkness broke the 100mph barrier on 7 mile beach. 
Oct 8 1985  First home in Kiama connected to a sewerage scheme.  New homes in Kiama downs were connected when they were built 
Oct 12 2012  Snow fell in Gerringong/Gerroa – violent and stormy weather caused unseasonal cold snap 
Oct 13 1864  Kiama Young Men’s Improvement Society was established with Mr Robert Kendall to read his essay titled “Does education contribute to the happiness of man?” 
Oct 13 1868  On Saturday night Mr. Parkes addressed a large meeting of his constituents at Mr. W. Curry's Hotel, Jamberoo.  Repeats his famous “Kiama Ghost Speech” 
Oct 10, 1890  A grand ball to celebrate the official opening of the magnificent Oddfellows Hall built on the corner of Terralong and Collins Street, Kiama. 
Oct 18 1866  Mr Robb held the first sugar cane crushing at his property, Riversdale 
Oct 20 1860  A meeting to petition the government to create a general cemetery for the district.
Oct 20 1893  Meeting to establish the Kiama School of Arts 
Oct 20 1979  Brighton Hotel shut doors for last time. Demolished 1980 
Oct 25 1939  Gerringong Rural Electricity Scheme switched on. 
Oct 31 1923  Gerringong council asks for Seven Mile Beach brush frontage to be proclaimed a bird sanctuary – birds include swans and brush pheasants.
Oct 16 1855 A very pleasant trip to Kiama and environs
Oct 22 1855 An early description of the blowhole, "Natural Wonder of Kiama"
Oct 24 1855 Unsafe moorings for ships in Kiama

 

To Top

Nov
Nov 1874 Gerringong Arms Inn opened as did the Gerringong free library
Nov 1898 Water supply meeting for Kiama – pipe head established at Fountaindale Creek to direct water to town reservoir 
Nov 1909 Brakes on the Atkin's family vehicle failed on their descent down Jamberoo Mountain Road. 
Nov 9 1887 Railway line from Sydney to Bombo opened. There was a push to establish a railway station in Kiama town - officially opened on October 3 1888
Nov 17th 1948  Grand opening of the new Gerringong town hall 
Nov 18 1890  Visit by the Labour Unions of Sydney to the railway workers camps to extol the necessity of unity. Their intention was to form an affiliated union of all trades in the various colonies. 
Nov 19 1921  The Gerringong library was relocated to the newly built RSL Hall (corner of Fern and Belinda St). Soldiers Hall opened
Nov 30 1871 Robert Baker Fry went fishing off the rocks near the sea cave and was apparently washed from the rocks and drowned. Cave named after him
Nov 1816 The first Illawarra land grants were issued
Nov 10 1854 1st Anniversary of Kiama's Total Abstinence Society.

 

To Top

Dec
Dec 1826 9/10 of all cedar shipped to Sydney came from Kiama area
Dec 1862  Kiama Census there was quite a local community with 5486 people living in the Municipality, with almost half of those under 15 years.
Dec 1893  Establishment of the Kiama Swimming Club and completion of the new public baths regarded as one of the finest in the colony, with spring boards and sluice valve
Dec 1911 Kiama Surf Club was formed: role was to check for anything improper or unbecoming and regulate surf bathing.
Dec 1915  It was agreed that "the baths and surfing were the greatest pleasure of a holiday in Kiama". 
Dec 1 1988  Birrilee maternity unit at Kiama Hospital closes after 101 years. The last baby born was on Nov 30 1988-a girl named Alexandra 
Dec 6 1797  George Bass wrote in his journal about the Kiama Blowhole. 
Dec 13 1858 A committee recommended whole of police district (Kiama, Jamberoo, Gerringong, Broughton Vale, Shellharbour, Terry’s Meadow and Honey Creek). 
Dec 21 1892  The new Foxground Butter Factory burnt to the ground
Dec 26 1893 Minnamurra tragedy as 7 people drowned, including Captain Thomas Honey when swept to the river mouth 
Dec 29 1889 The schooner the "Scotia" was wrecked on blowhole point. All men saved. 
 Dec 18 1851  1851 census results.
Dec 6 1849 Kiama is developing quickly within the Illawarra district

 

To Top

 

Return to Local History Articles pinboard32