Below is a list of the shipwrecks off the coast of Kiama, Minnamurra and Gerringong. Some of the sinkings were right on the border with Shellharbour. We enter them here for interest sake.
Wrecks are listed in no particular order.
The Kiama Life Saving Brigade were quickly on the scene however she broke up rapidly, drowning the captain all but one of her crew of five. The captain was chief officer of the steamer Tasman when lost south-east tasmania, 1883, and blamed for her loss.
|Date sunk||01 July 1901|
On the 1st August 1908 a committee made up from the councils of Gerringong, Jamberoo and Kiama and notable citizens assembled to discuss the upcoming visit by the American Fleet, a battle fleet of 16 ships. The fleet arrived on the 21st August and departed for Melbourne 26th August.
The catch was that the sailors would be coming by train and not ship. The fleet was moored in Sydney harbour and the sailors were made into groups in went in a variety of directions from Sydney as a goodwill gesture. At the time cheap railway tickets were made available for the public to view the fleet in the harbour.
Expecting to receive 100 sailors, the committee planned for an extravaganza. They planned a luncheon, decorations (£5 budget), military band and a public holiday."Any persons who will undertake to take an American for a drive in their private vehicles that day between the hours of 1pm and 3pm are requested to notify the secretaries.”
41 sailors and 2nd regimental band (25) arrived in Kiama to a disappointed organising committee. However the sailors and the band made up for the lack of numbers and proved a winner with the crowds.
While here, two sailors drowned and 80 sailors jumped ship. 50 of these were captured and returned to their ships. A bounty of $10 was placed on each deserters head.
US Yanckton delayed its sailing with the fleet, waiting back to gather the stragglers.
Requests were made to Admiral Sperry of the American Fleet that as they sailed to Melbourne down the south coast, that an effort be made to sail as close to the coast as possible for the viewing of the people of the Illawarra.
On August 27th the fleet sailed past Kiama on its way to Melbourne at 1:10pm, yet the fleet was well off shore and only those with telescopes could see the fleet.
A reporter of the day asked the sailors some questions.
Speaking of the blowhole? "If we had that in America, we'd make money out of it.
What he enjoyed in Kiama?, "Yes, fine, wish we could stay longer"
Good looking girls of the Illawarra compared to Sydney? "Yes we'd like to take you all away with us."
What did you like about your visit? "Oh, everything, the drive was just good."
Image is of American Fleet and 2nd Regiment Band arrives in Kiama 1908.
In the early years, the various churches provided the meeting places, social activities and sense of community for the number of small settlements scattered around the region. As the towns of Kiama, Jamberoo and Gerringong grew, new opportunities developed to meet the social needs of both the residents and the increasing number of visitors to the area. Rural communities would have welcomed travelling performers and picture shows, but many of the performances would have been by local talent.
One of the earliest reported concerts was a performance in 1855, in one of the Kiama shops. There was a Frenchman playing an instrument and a singing German.
The Gerringong Arms was known for entertainment in the early days of the township. The proprietor, Mr Lang, was reported to have held an elegant Easter Ball at the hotel in 1859.
School of Art halls were generally established early in the development of a township for the education of its members and the cultivation of literature, science and art for adults that may not have received much education as children. Jamberoo established a School of Arts in 1846 and the Jamberoo Literary and Debating Society, three years later. The Gerringong School of Arts opened in 1883 and was the social hub of the Gerringong community, with dances, musicales and suppers.
Kiama residents had to wait until the new century for their own School of Arts building. The Kiama School of Arts, adjacent to the Post Office on Manning St, opened in 1901, and had a library operated by a citizens committee.
The Kiama Showground was established in its present location in 1897 and the pavilion building was dismantled and moved from its previous location on Longbrush to Church Point. This Showground pavilion was popular for dances and socials until it burnt down in 1938.
The Oddfellows Hall was on the north-western corner of Terralong and Collins St (Kiama Leagues Club site) and was built for the Loyal Star of the South Lodge of the Independent Order of Oddfellows. It was completed in 1890 by the Hindmarsh Family and was an elegant two story building equipped for performances with a stage, footlights, piano, gallery and seating for up to 500 people. The Oddfellows was the location of choice for the regular travelling picture shows. In 1913, Mr H Gordon joined with Mr John Weston to establish Kiama’s Own Pictures’ at the Oddfellows Hall, where pictures were screened on Thursdays and Saturdays. Gordon sold to Mr Roy Colley of Jamberoo and the Weston Colley partnership maintained the picture shows for twelve years, with Colley playing the piano. The Oddfellows Hall was renovated to become a “Dancing Palais” by a new owner, and finally sold to Wollongong Theatres in 1948. The building continued to be used as a dance hall but little maintenance meant the building was in a poor state of repair. The Kiama Leagues Club started using the premises in 1956 and the building was sold in 1957.
The Jamberoo School of Arts was used for travelling pictures from 1900. Pictures were regularly held from 1914, conducted by the Condon Brothers from Albion Park but it wasn’t until 1945 that a permanent projection box was erected in the building and pictures were shown for the next 14 years by Mr McAuliffe.
Located on Manning St, where the St Tropez apartments are now, The Antrim Theatre was a very popular location for many of the community activities. The Antrim opened in 1924 and was operated and owned by Mr Alex Carson. Mr Frank Tuohy was the projectionist for the theatre for 37 years. The theatre was leased to Mr A Beszant in 1927 and was renamed the Kiama Cinema. The Cinema was sold to Beszant in 1939 and sold again to Wollongong Theatres in 1948. George Parkes purchased the theatre in 1966 but it was sold again and demolished in 1971. There hasn’t been a cinema in Kiama since the closure of the Antrim. The theatre was a picture hall but also used for many other functions such as the school speech and presentation nights, parades and concerts, the Diggers Ball, and debutante balls. Molly Mackie wrote about magic and card shows and the musical performances that entertained many at the Antrim and also remembers people polishing the floor with candle shavings and beeswax to prepare the hall floor for dancing, whilst many women would be preparing delicacies for the suppers. The Antrim was reputed to have the largest dance floor outside Sydney at the time it was built.
The Antrim had matinee sessions on Saturday afternoons, and there was a kiosk adjoining the theatre for treats during interval. Flyers showing the coming screen attractions were distributed by Mr Carson’s sons George and Allen. For some years Mr Carson also ran roller skating sessions during the winter months.
The Gerringong Town Hall opened in 1948 and was used regularly for dances, balls and pictures. Mr Leo Hunt started picture screening once opened and this was continued by Mr H Waghorn. Gerringong is the only town in the municipality to have regular films today, with a movie screened every month in the Town Hall by ‘Pics and flicks’ and regular summer holiday sessions.
My kind of town by Molly Mackie
Gauffered velour by Robert Parkinson
Bluehaven by William Bayley
Gerringong: A history by Bill Shortis
Kiama on show: The Kiama Show Society by Karen Beasley.
Image of Kiama Pavilion 1880's
This list is by no means comprehensive. You are welcome to add to this list by contacting us.
On this day or week in Kiama:
|Jan 1889||Charles Jackson (1889) tightrope walked across the blowhole in Kiama.|
|Jan 2 1903||The crown butter factory in Gerringong received an order for 150 boxes of butter for South Africa|
|Jan 4 1942||Radar Station No. 18 started operation on Saddleback Mountain Road, Jamberoo|
|Jan 5 1841||A post office opened in Kiama - first postmaster George Hindmarsh|
|Jan 8 1936||Clifford Holz rescued Mavis Gibbs from drowning at Porters Garden Beach.|
|Jan 11 1933||Charles Kingsford Smith flew from 7 mile beach Gerroa to New Zealand - historic trans Tasman flight which took 14hrs 10min|
|Jan 15 1898||Lecture on “How to read heads” - Professor Robert White visited Kiama and gave an interesting talk on phrenology|
|Jan 15 1927||Kiama’s first motorised ambulance was presented to the community.|
|Jan 26 1948||Beer boycott on the south coast ended after 25 hotels were boycotted.|
|Jan 27 1846||Illawarra ploughing match at Dapto won by Menzies of Jamberoo|
|Jan 28 1893||Article about the blowhole during a storm|
|Jan 12 1841||Post Office in Kiama established|
|Jan 23 1851||Kiama is the larder of the colony.|
|Jan 25 1855||The first hint of a harbour for Kiama|
|Feb 1849||Kiama held first show|
|Feb 1909||Kiama cycle club established, with 40 members. Held road races from Kiama to Jamberoo and back again.|
|February 1944||Kiama was honoured when a corvette from the Royal Australian Navy was named after the town. The HMAS Kiama visited Kiama for a civic reception.|
|Feb 2 1845||First agricultural society exhibition|
|Feb 16 1839||Plan for Kiama township approved by governor|
|Feb 22 1925||Electricity used for the first time in Presbyterian Church.|
|Feb 22 1949||The “Bombo”, blue metal boat out of Kiama, bound for Sydney sinks off Wollongong. Only two of the fourteen crew members reached shore alive.|
|Feb 24 1888||Butter and cheese cooperative factory proposed. Meeting in School of Arts with 20 farmers present|
|Feb 26 1879||Runaway horses down Terralong Street. 2 young horses being trained took off. One was seriously injured whilst the young trainer hit his head and had blood flowing from his ears. They almost collided with a stage coach.|
|Feb 26 1935||Bus crash at Jamberoo.|
|Feb 28 1920||Returned soldiers make ‘convenient crossing for vehicular traffic’ at Crooked River|
|Feb 4 1842||Advice for newly arrived immigrants to the Illawarra|
|Feb 12 1844||Kiama's first Magistrates Court opened|
|Feb 15 1853||Aboriginal languages intriguing and sophisticated|
|March 1858||Jamberoo School opened at Jerrara Creek|
|March 1892||At Weary Creek, Gerringong. Accident. A man named Michael Walsh met with a serious gun accident when out shooting. By some unaccountable means the gun went off, severely shattering the hand, face, and breast of the unfortunate man, who managed, however, to crawl to a workman's tent in the neighbourhood, when he was placed in a cart and taken to the local cottage hospital, where he is progressing favourably.|
|March 1895||Gerringong didn’t get a doctor until Dr Kruger set up practice in 1895.|
|March 1925||Speed trials were conducted on 7 mile beach Gerringong speedway. Local History Article.|
|March 1928||Electricity switched in Gerringong.|
|March 1954||Populations: Kiama -2400, Gerringong - 1058, Jamberoo - 894; Total - 4352|
|March 5 1887||Butter factory to be erected on farm of John Moffitt (part of the Berry Estate) near Crooked River|
|March 6th 1842||Weatherboard Church of England opened - first church in Jamberoo.|
|March 14 1908||Formation of the Kiama Surf Bathers Club - but all were required to wear neck to knee costumes.|
|March 22 1870||The barque Rangoon was wrecked on Stack Island Minnamurra. Island is now known as Rangoon due to this wreck|
|March 27 1894||Spectators at the swimming carnival at the swimming bathes, blowhole point|
|March 31 1892||East Kiama became the Borough of Kiama, and the Municipality of Kiama changed to the Municipality of Jamberoo. The first Mayor of Kiama East Borough was Mr W. Cocks, with Mr R. W. Walker the last Mayor before amalgamation. Mr C.W Craig was the first Mayor of Jamberoo and Mr C. R Chittick was the last Jamberoo Mayor before amalgamation.|
|March 24 1840||Bushrangers living in the Illawarra.|
|March 18 1847||Established Orange Lodge has a new song for Kiama|
|March 18 1854||Site "fixed upon" for township of 'Geringong'|
|March 3 1855||Obstructive land system 1, 2, 3, 4|
|April 1880||“Mr Burton’s Circus” visited Kiama|
|April 1910||Parkers Electric Pictures screened at Kiama Showground hall for the first time.|
|April 1 1857||Gerringong post office opened-services were by horseback to Kiama and Broughton creek|
|April 12 1934||Sir Charles Kingsford Smith, and lady Kingsford Smith had to spend the night at Gerringong en route to Melbourne due to heavy rain and poor visibility. Perfect landing on 7 mile beach.|
|April 15 1936||Man fell into a Kiama quarry and lay for 12 hours, in cold water with fractured legs and arm, until found the next morning.|
|April 15 1934||9.91 inches of rain fell in Kiama and created mayhem, with blocked railway tunnels, Gerringong Railway Bridge.|
|April 23 1770||Captain Cook on the Endeavour, passed by Kiama|
|April 24 1858||First newspaper in district, the Kiama Examiner.|
|April 24 1871||The Municipality of Broughton Vale and the Municipality of Gerringong were declared, breaking up the original Council 11 years after it was created. Kiama and Jamberoo wards remaining as Kiama Municipality. Mr M. E. Robson was the first Mayor of Gerringong and Mr G. E Chittick was the last mayor of Gerringong. Mr Chittick became the Mayor of the amalgamated Kiama Council in 1954.|
|April 27 1977||Kiama telephone exchange switched to a $600,000 automated service.|
|April 28 1888||South coast medical association established. Medical practitioners from Kiama to the Shoalhaven for sharing of scientific and professional ideas|
|April 29 1924||Human remains found at Kiama blowhole.|
|April 27 1842||Temperance and teetotalism defied in Kiama.|
|April 6 1842||Kiama becomes Illawarra's second most important port after Wollongong|
|April 5 1848||General Report of Illawarra sees Kiama excel.|
|April 17 1852||Governor-General appoints town constable for Kiama|
|April 12 1853||Local innkeeper drowns.|
|April 1 1854||First recorded game of cricket between Kiama and Jamberoo.|
|May 1890||Bombo school opened. First teacher was Walter Craig.|
|May 1910||Jamberoo tennis club officially opened.|
|May 1984||Kiama Post Office gets painted salmon pink. (Kiama Independent 30/5/1984)|
|May 5 1931||Electricity in Jamberoo with fst building being the Church of England.|
|May 6 1858||Teetotal meeting at Kiama Church of England|
|May 7 1847||Profitable coal seams found in Jamberoo.|
|May 11 1984||Omega Station decommissioned.|
|May 17 1858||Total abstinence meeting at Presbyterian Church|
|May 18 1887||Typhoid outbreak in Kiama|
|May 19 1856||Meeting of Young Men’s Literary and Debating Society in Kiama.|
|May 23 1887||Hospital opened in Kiama|
|May 25 1857||Road between Kiama and Jamberoo described as a chain of ponds - much road work required|
|May 28 1912||Eureka Quarry explosion, killing 6 and injuring 2. Premature explosion of gelignite - led to a union meeting to look at safer work conditions and a relief fund for their families.|
|May 31 1872||The Kiama Municipality was divided into 3 wards, Kiama, Southern and Jamberoo.|
|May 17 1836||Murder in Kiama. Skulduggery involved.|
|June 1984||Protests outside the Kiama Post Office, petition signed by more than 600 residents to repaint the post office.|
|June 1 1893||Kiama Railway Station officially opened|
|June 8 1871||First election of The Gerringong Municipal Council held. 9 councillors elected, led by Mayor M.E.Robson.|
|June 2 1954||Kiama Municipality proclaimed amalgamation of Kiama, Gerringong, and Jamberoo. The population at the time of amalgamation was Kiama; 2400, Gerringong; 1058 and Jamberoo; 892.|
|June 4 1859||Shellharbour formed its own Council|
|June 6 1918||Kiama Public School P & C Association formed – Mayor W Cornford elected Kiama P & C’s foundation president|
|June 8 1901||The Purple Robe - Kiama library refused to remove this text from collection – although it was identified as an insult to catholic sensitivities.
read the book at open library and discover why it might have been banned.
|June 12 1860||Influenza epidemic in Kiama|
|June 15 1864||Department for Public Works called for tenders for the excavation of Kiama harbour|
|June 15 1897||Conference at Kiama of agricultural societies of the south coast.|
|June 16 1881||The stone trade of Kiama -During the past six months (says the Shoalhaven News) the blue metal trade at Kiama has been assuming large dimensions, affording satisfactory employment to a number of local and other men, There are three batteries at work crushing the stone, and a fleet of sailing vessels, and a convenient screw steamer, at present engaged conveying the stone to Sydney, but even then the demand cannot be met. The industry is proving highly beneficial to the district.|
|June 16 1892||Jamberoo was said to be a land of butter factories|
|June 17 1859||Nominations called for a member for Kiama to serve in new parliament|
|June 17 1869||Mr Henry Lee of Gerringong died after being kicked by his horse in the abdomen. Doctor had to travel from Kiama to see him|
|June 17 1869||£600 granted for construction of jetty in Gerringong|
|June 18 1853||The only doctor in the area, Dr Parrot was out to see an injured man, when his horse slipped and fell. The horse then rolled on Dr Parrot, killing him. The injured man Mr Willet survived.|
|June 18 1884||Kiama Pioneer Butter Factory opened - was first co-operative butter factory, not only in NSW but in the Southern Hemisphere|
|June 19 1867||Article appeared in Sydney Morning Herald about a trip to Kiama via steamboat for a holiday|
|June 21 1866||New bridge over creek at Bush Bank.|
|June 21 1866||Kiama Independent reports Gerringong to Crooked River road in fearful state|
|June 24 1954||The Provisional Council held first meeting, with Aldermen from the former Gerringong, Jamberoo and Kiama councils. G. E Chittick (former Mayor of Gerringong) acted as the provisional mayor of the new Kiama Council. Harold Lyons (Kiama Town Clerk for 17 yrs) continued as Town Clerk.|
|June 28 1924||Antrim Theatre was officially opened by Mr M F Morton, MLA. The first picture screened was ‘The covered wagon’. The projectionist was Mr Frank Tuohy who was to hold this position at the theatre under different owners and managers for the next 37 years.|
|Jun 11 1839||Cutter "Maid of the Mill" sinks off Kiama coast|
|June 17 1847||Mooring chains obtained from NSW Government for Kiama Harbour.|
|June 18 1853||Only residential doctor dies.|
|June 11 1855||Proposal for communications and national security using the telegraph.|
|July 1830||Robert Hoddle set off to survey a route from Southern Highlands to Kiama Harbour|
|July 1903||The first Kiama Golf Club established on Chapman Point, Kiama.|
|July 1913||Winter skating was held at Gerringong School of Arts.|
|July 1 1872||Major fire at Gerringong Commercial district.|
|July 2 1852||Post office opened in Jamberoo - First postmaster R.H Owen.|
|July 3 1858||New punt for the Minnamurra River|
|July 5 1858||Kiama theological society formed|
|July 5 1871||First meeting of the Gerringong Municipal Council held in the Lanterrick Hotel, which, in the absence of an official meeting place, served as the council chambers over the ensuing months.|
|July 22 1890||2 Kiama aldermen were in Kiama court for cross cases of assault|
|July 23 1856||Bush Bank Steam Mill (south of Kiama) commenced operations - milling locally grown wheat. The ruins can still be seen today.|
|July 26 1890||Boxing gloves were presented to Kiama council meeting due to the altercations and problems amongst the aldermen|
|July 15 1841||Inaugural meeting to plan a jetty and harbour at Kiama|
|July 5 1852||Big storms hit Kiama|
|August 1893||Nationwide measles pandemic|
|August 1862||By the 1862 Kiama Census there was quite a local community with 5486 people living in the Municipality, with almost half of those under 15 years.|
|August 1927||Thomas Newing died - built Foxground’s 1st stone wall in 1857, after arriving here from Kent, England. He built the dry stone walls in the municipality by hand and by himself, with assistance from his son-in-law.|
|August 1 1881||Mr John Black Esq, Kiama mayor died whilst giving a Sunday school sermon.|
|August 1 1883||Disastrous bushfire at Gerringong, aided by strong winds|
|August 6 1882||The Church of St. Mary, Star of the Sea, was formally opened at about 11am on Sunday.|
|August 7 1873||Meeting at Boatharbour store to consider the establishment of a public school at Gerringong. Schools already in the neighbourhood at Omega and Toolijooa but too far from Gerringong|
|August 9 1905||First Kiama Arbour Day - more than 2000 residents planted 500 trees, in the township|
|August 11 1859||Municipality of Kiama proclaimed and three wards created, Kiama, Jamberoo and Gerringong.|
|August 11 1902||First motor vehicle to pass through Kiama.|
|August 20 1831||Sydney Morning Herald reports that nine Kiama settlers wrote to W N Gray, Police Magistrate of Wollongong, pointing out that blacks steal whole acres of corn at night and also pigs. Ottons’s stockman caught ‘Black Harry’ with a pig and ‘ Captain Brooks’ with spears and tomahawk, but they escaped|
|August 20 1919||Motor fatality on Macquarie pass, Kiama doctor needed to attend|
|August 21 1890||Inquiry into separation of the Kiama municipality into 3 new municipalities. Debts owed by Kiama, Jamberoo and Gerringong|
|August 26 1907||Council supported the request for a tram between Kiama and Jamberoo|
|August 29 1938||The lovely timber showground pavilion was destroyed by fire.|
|August 22 1835||Trouble with Illawarra blacks|
|August 20 1839||Road from to Camden proposed|
|Sept 1869||Kiama district apparently experienced snowstorms - mountains around Jamberoo and saddleback were covered.|
|Sept 1897||Announcement of a plan to construct a proper road through Macquarie Pass, linking the South Coast with the Southern Highlands.|
|Sept 1908||Young Men’s Institute established in Gerringong to promote self – culture and a reading habit among young people.|
|Sept 1909||Central Park Tennis Club established in Kiama.|
|Sept 1912||Skating carnival held at Kiama Agricultural Hall.|
|Sept 13 1898||A visit to Kiama of Bristol’s Great American Circus, with its own train.|
|Sept 1889||The ketch Ino sinks in Kiama Harbour.|
|Sept 20 1876||Kiama harbour opened after 16 yrs agitation and work.|
|Sept 21, 1945||Radar Station No. 18 ceased operation at Saddleback Mountain Road, Jamberoo (Local History Article)|
|Sept 26 1859||The first meeting of Kiama Municipal Council was held at Adams Hotel, Kiama|
|Sept 21 1849||Criminal statistics show activity low in Kiama|
|Sept 7 1855||Travelling through the Illawarra, Shoalhaven and Kiama.|
|Sept 24 1855||Proposal for a new "Illawarra Mercury" newspaper|
|Sept 28 1855||A trip to the shoalhaven|
|Oct 1 1899||Fire in Terralong Street. Destroys 15 premises (Local History Article)|
|Oct 1819||Surveyor-General John Oxley explored the Kiama coastline by sea, Deputy-Surveyor James Meehan travelled by land. Oxley called the area Kiarami|
|Oct 1891||Terrible epidemic of influenza|
|Oct 1893||Kiama photographer Henry Holden was awarded a diploma and bronze medal from the World Fair in Chicago for a ‘handsome work of art’ (Local History Article)|
|Oct 1919||Record number of vehicles to pass through the town - 12 in 2hrs|
|Oct 3 1888||Railway line from Bombo to Kiama officially opened. (Local History Article)|
|Oct 17 1925||Don Harkness broke the 100mph barrier on 7 mile beach.|
|Oct 8 1985||First home in Kiama connected to a sewerage scheme. New homes in Kiama downs were connected when they were built|
|Oct 12 2012||Snow fell in Gerringong/Gerroa – violent and stormy weather caused unseasonal cold snap|
|Oct 13 1864||Kiama Young Men’s Improvement Society was established with Mr Robert Kendall to read his essay titled “Does education contribute to the happiness of man?”|
|Oct 13 1868||On Saturday night Mr. Parkes addressed a large meeting of his constituents at Mr. W. Curry's Hotel, Jamberoo. Repeats his famous “Kiama Ghost Speech”|
|Oct 14, 1890||A grand ball to celebrate the official opening of the magnificent Oddfellows Hall built on the corner of Terralong and Collins Street, Kiama.|
|Oct 18 1866||Mr Robb held the first sugar cane crushing at his property, Riversdale|
|Oct 20 1860||A meeting to petition the government to create a general cemetery for the district.|
|Oct 20 1893||Meeting to establish the Kiama School of Arts|
|Oct 20 1979||Brighton Hotel shut doors for last time. Demolished 1980|
|Oct 25 1939||Gerringong Rural Electricity Scheme switched on.|
|Oct 31 1923||Gerringong council asks for Seven Mile Beach brush frontage to be proclaimed a bird sanctuary – birds include swans and brush pheasants.|
|Oct 16 1855||A very pleasant trip to Kiama and environs|
|Oct 22 1855||An early description of the blowhole, "Natural Wonder of Kiama"|
|Oct 24 1855||Unsafe moorings for ships in Kiama|
|Nov 1874||Gerringong Arms Inn opened as did the Gerringong free library|
|Nov 1898||Water supply meeting for Kiama – pipe head established at Fountaindale Creek to direct water to town reservoir|
|Nov 1909||Brakes on the Atkin's family vehicle failed on their descent down Jamberoo Mountain Road.|
|Nov 9 1887||Railway line from Sydney to Bombo opened. There was a push to establish a railway station in Kiama town - officially opened on October 3 1888|
|Nov 17th 1948||Grand opening of the new Gerringong town hall|
|Nov 18 1890||Visit by the Labour Unions of Sydney to the railway workers camps to extol the necessity of unity. Their intention was to form an affiliated union of all trades in the various colonies.|
|Nov 19 1921||The Gerringong library was relocated to the newly built RSL Hall (corner of Fern and Belinda St). Soldiers Hall opened.|
|Nov 30 1871||Robert Baker Fry went fishing off the rocks near the sea cave and was apparently washed from the rocks and drowned. Cave named after him|
|Nov 1816||The first Illawarra land grants were issued|
|Nov 10 1854||1st Anniversary of Kiama's Total Abstinence Society.|
|Dec 1826||9/10 of all cedar shipped to Sydney came from Kiama area|
|Dec 1862||Kiama Census there was quite a local community with 5486 people living in the Municipality, with almost half of those under 15 years.|
|Dec 1893||Establishment of the Kiama Swimming Club and completion of the new public baths regarded as one of the finest in the colony, with spring boards and sluice valve.|
|Dec 1911||Kiama Surf Club was formed: role was to check for anything improper or unbecoming and regulate surf bathing.|
|Dec 1915||It was agreed that "the baths and surfing were the greatest pleasure of a holiday in Kiama".|
|Dec 1 1988||Birrilee maternity unit at Kiama Hospital closes after 101 years. The last baby born was on Nov 30 1988-a girl named Alexandra|
|Dec 6 1797||George Bass wrote in his journal about the Kiama Blowhole.|
|Dec 13 1858||A committee recommended whole of police district (Kiama, Jamberoo, Gerringong, Broughton Vale, Shellharbour, Terry’s Meadow and Honey Creek).|
|Dec 21 1892||The new Foxground Butter Factory burnt to the ground|
|Dec 26 1893||Minnamurra tragedy as 7 people drowned, including Captain Thomas Honey when swept to the river mouth|
|Dec 29 1889||The schooner the "Scotia" was wrecked on blowhole point. All men saved.|
|Dec 18 1851||1851 census results.|
|Dec 6 1849||Kiama is developing quickly within the Illawarra district|